The Coalition to Salute America’s Heroes helps severely-wounded veterans and families of Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom, and Operation New Dawn recover from their injuries and illnesses, and inspires other organizations and the general public to participate in these efforts.
We met with Donny Daughenbaugh last week to discuss our plans for our upcoming fundraiser and to learn a little bit more about The Coalition itself and why their services were so valuable to wounded veterans.
Here is some of what we learned:
- Not all VA hospitals are created equal.
- Not all case workers put their hearts into helping our wounded veterans
- It takes about 10 months (sometimes longer) for a wounded veteran to receive their FIRST disability check AFTER they have been discharged and are NOT getting paid
- 3-4 months to get evaluated by the VA
- Another 4-5 months to get treatment
- Another 2-3 months to receive benefits
- This is not only about the wounded veterans, this is about their families as well.
- Many spouses of the wounded veterans leave their jobs to provide the care that is sometimes needed around the clock
- Families go from 2 incomes per household to 1 and sometimes none if the spouse leaves their job to provide care
- Many cannot drive due to their injuries and need help with the simplest tasks
The Coalition has several different aid and assistance programs available that are funded by contributors, corporations and volunteers. 100% of proceeds go directly to the veterans and all donations are tax-deductible.
In addition, CSAH needs the following to continue their efforts:
- Money – to make a donation go here.
- Awareness – share their site.
- Outreach – if you or your company would like to help there are several ways to give.
Make a donation here – OR – come to our fundraiser on November 18th from 10-3 to hear Donny Daughenbaugh and Sgt. Jorge DeLeon speak about the challenges they are having and how appreciative they are for our support.
Give a little, give a lot, but please give something! We are matching all donations up to $10,000!