HOW TO BECOME A REAL ESTATE BROKER IN TEXAS
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS TO BECOME A BROKER
To become a broker, a salesperson needs to meet education and experience requirements. PLEASE READ.
Each salesperson desiring to become a broker will have different education requirements based on three things:
- The amount of college education you have (degree, associate’s degree, or some college hours)
- The number of hours you took to obtain your salesperson’s license
- The number of courses (hours) you have taken since you obtained your salesperson’s license
TWO IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW
- No matter how much education you have, you must take the 30-hour TREC approved Real Estate Brokerage course (this is a TREC requirement) within two years prior to filing the application.
- You may retake ANY course and receive credit toward your broker’s license if you have not taken the course for two years.
We recommend that if you decide to repeat some or all of the pre-licensing courses to obtain additional hours, we definitely recommend retaking Real Estate Principles 1 and Real Estate Principles 2. The broker state exam is still based on these two courses and it will be a good review for you to prepare for taking the state exam.
We offer both individual courses and package pricing (based on the number of courses you need). See below.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS TO BECOME A BROKER
Candidates for a broker license must also meet the following experience requirements:
Have at least four years’ active experience as a licensed real estate sales agent or broker during the 60-month period preceding the filing of the application.
Your experience must total 3600 points and be reported on the TREC Qualifying Experience Report for a Broker’s License. You must also include a transaction identification list for each transaction claimed on the experience report.
13-Course Broker Package
360 hours (no credit awarded for the exam prep class)
- Principles of Real Estate I #121
- Principles of Real Estate II #122
- Law of Agency #1151
- Law of Contracts #1251
- Promulgated Contract Forms #351
- Real Estate Finance #451
- Real Estate Brokerage #751
- Business Principles and Strategies #558
- Property Management #851
- Marketing: The Number ONE Skill to Have #538
- Buyer’s Agent #530
- Real Estate Appraisal: Principles and Standards #230
- Exam Prep Course
4-Course Broker Package
- 4-Hour Legal Update I #37796
- 4-Hour Legal Update II (Includes Ethics) #37797
- 6-Hour Broker Responsibility #35367
- 4-Hour External Environmental Issues #37806