GET MY BROKERS LICENSE
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS TO BECOME A BROKER
To become a broker, a salesperson needs to meet education and experience requirements. PLEASE READ.
Each salesperson desiring to become a broker will have different education requirements based on three things:
- The amount of college education you have (degree, associate’s degree, or some college hours)
- The number of hours you took to obtain your salesperson’s license
- The number of courses (hours) you have taken since you obtained your salesperson’s license
IF you have a four-year college degree from an accredited college or university, TREC will allow 630 clock hours credit. This credit along with your pre-licensing, SAE and CE courses MAY already qualify you for almost all education requirements to become a broker.
IF you have less than a college degree or no college, you will need to take some additional education to Qualify.
Complete Your Qualifying Education
- Principles of Real Estate I (30 classroom hours)
- Principles of Real Estate II (30 classroom hours)
- Law of Agency (30 classroom hours)
- Law of Contracts (30 classroom hours)
- Promulgated Contract Forms (30 classroom hours)
- Real Estate Finance (30 classroom hours)
- Real Estate Brokerage (30 classroom hours)
The Real Estate Brokerage course must be completed not more than two years before the application date.
TWO IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW
- No matter how much education you have, you must take the 30-hour TREC approved Real Estate Brokerage course (this is a TREC requirement) within two years prior to filing the application.
- You may retake ANY course and receive credit toward your broker’s license if you have not taken the course for two years.
We recommend that if you decide to repeat some or all of the pre-licensing courses to obtain additional hours, we definitely recommend retaking Real Estate Principles 1 and Real Estate Principles 2. The broker state exam is still based on these two courses and it will be a good review for you to prepare for taking the state exam.
We offer both individual courses and package pricing (based on the number of courses you need). See below.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS TO BECOME A BROKER
Have at least four years’ active experience as a licensed real estate sales agent or broker during the 60-month period preceding the filing of the application.
Your experience must total 3600 points and be reported on the TREC Qualifying Experience Report for a Broker’s License. You must also include a transaction identification list for each transaction claimed on the experience report.
- Principles of Real Estate I #121
- Principles of Real Estate II #122
- Law of Agency #1151
- Law of Contracts #1251
- Promulgated Contract Forms #351
- Real Estate Finance #451
- Real Estate Brokerage #751
- Exam Prep Course
- Real Estate Marketing: Principles of Business #526
- Marketing: The Number ONE Skill to Have #538
- Real Estate Marketing: Buyer’s Agent #530
- Real Estate Appraisal: Principles and Standards #230
- Real Estate Brokerage #751
4-Course Package (18 Hours)
- Legal Update I #33197
- Legal Update II (Includes Ethics) #33198
- Broker Responsibility #31450
- External Environmental Issues #33490