Texas Real Estate License Renewal
HOW IT WORKS
As a Real Estate Sales Agent, you must renew your license every two years. A notice will be sent out about 90 days before your expiration date. Until you receive this notice, you cannot renew your license. As part of the renewal process, you must complete certain continuing education courses to help you deliver competent and quality real estate services.
You may renew your license up to six months after the expiration date. After six months and up to two years past the expiration date, you may apply for reinstatement of your license. After two years past the expiration date, you will have to reapply and pass the examination.
First Time Renewals Requirements (less than 2 years) Sales Apprentice Education (SAE)
- If you are renewing for the first time, active or inactive, you must have a total of 270 qualifying real estate course hours, 4 hours of TREC’s Legal Update I, and 4 hours of TREC’s Legal Update II posted to your license record prior to submitting your renewal.
- If you have been made a supervisor by your broker, you also need to take the 6-hour Broker Responsibility course to renew.
- Your TREC record must reflect completion of SAE requirements at the time you submit your application. The Real Estate Business School will post your qualifying courses as well as Legal I & Legal II courses within 1-2 business days of their completion. (Keep copies of qualifying courses certificates for your records.)
- Qualifying credit will not be granted if you were previously given credit for a substantially similar qualifying course within a two year period.
- You may not defer SAE requirements. Your license will not be renewed until you complete the required education.
Active Sales Agent License CE Requirements (more than 2 years)
- Complete 18 hours of approved Continuing Education (CE) course
– 8 hours of TREC Legal Update I and II; and
– 10 hours of elective CE (3 hours of the elective CE must be in TREC-approved contracts-related coursework)
- If you have been made a supervisor by your broker, you need to take the 6-hour Broker Responsibility course as part of your 18 hours of CE.
- If TREC records do not reflect completion of CE requirements at the time you submit your application, you must pay a $200 CE Deferral Fee, or renew in inactive status. Payment of the CE Deferral Fee allows you to remain active for an additional 60 days from your expiration date to complete CE requirements. Deferral does not apply to sales agents renewing for the first time.
- If you have not submitted your fingerprints for TREC with a previous renewal or application, you must be fingerprinted for a criminal background check.
Inactive Sales Agent Renewals Requirements
Go to TREC’s website at: http://www.trec.state.tx.us/onlineservices_status.asp.
You may renew your license in inactive status without completing CE. You cannot engage in real estate brokerage activity with an inactive license.
- Renew online using TREC Online Services. If you have not renewed online before, you may need to register first.
- Complete your CE at least 10 days before your expiration date, to ensure time for processing.
- Pay the renewal fee online using their Online Services no later than the expiration date of your license.